Whether it’s an after-school snack for kids or an evening snack for adults, an open sandwich is relished by all. This whole wheat toast is rich in protein from the tofu and mushrooms. The filling can also be used to make panini sandwiches or a stuffed sourdough sandwich.
Makes: 6 toasts
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 2 cups [140 g] mushrooms, boiled and chopped finely
- 100g tofu, diced
- 2 cups [100 g] spinach, chopped finely
- 3 green chillies, chopped finely
- 2 spring onions with greens, chopped finely
- 1 large capsicum, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup white sauce or red sauce
- 6 slices whole-wheat bread
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tsp oil
- Heat oil in a pan; sauté green chillies and spring onions for a minute.
- Add capsicum; sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, spinach and 1 tsp of salt; sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add tofu and pepper; mix well.
- Stir in white sauce and cook for 1 minute. Add salt as per taste.
- Lightly toast the bread. Spread the mixture on toasted bread; sprinkle on some oregano and paprika. Serve hot.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!