There can’t be an easier way to get your kids to eat beans and vegetables. Baked beans on toast is a sumptuous breakfast option and can also be served as a tea-time snack. To make it healthier, use whole wheat or rye bread. This recipe also has boiled carrot and french beans added to the baked beans mix to make it more nutritious and tasty.
Makes: 6 toasts
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
- 6 slices whole-wheat bread or rye bread
- ½ can baked beans [you can also used boiled rajma or soya bean]
- ½ cup carrots, chopped finely
- ½ cup French beans, chopped finely
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 1 large tomato, chopped finely
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp cashew paste or any vegan cheese
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp oil
- Pressure-cook the carrots and French beans for 1 whistle. Drain and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven at 160C for 7 – 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan; sauté onion for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder, immediately mix in the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the boiled French beans and carrots; cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in baked beans and tomato sauce; cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cashew paste or vegan cheese.
- Lightly toast the bread. Spread the mixture on the toast and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!