This wholesome vegan porridge recipe is ideal for those who are looking for delicious but power-packed nutritious breakfast options. Made of rajma (kidney beans), daliya (broken wheat), oats and coconut milk as well as spices such as black pepper, cloves and cinnamon, one serving will give you just enough fibre, protein, carbs and fat to get through the day.
Wholesome vegan porridge recipe
- ¼ cup broken wheat
- ¼ cup oats
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- ¼ cup coconut water
- 3 cup water
- Black pepper powder [according to your taste]
- Salt [for taste]
- ¼ tsp ginger-garlic paste
- Asafoetida—a pinch
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp rajma / red kidney beans
- 2 cloves
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- Soak the rajma overnight in water. Next day, wash it and pressure cook it with enough water for 10 whistles. Once pressure settles down, mash the rajma beans and keep aside.
- Grind broken wheat, oats, cloves and cinnamon to coarse powder. Transfer this powder to a bowl. Add coconut water and coconut milk to it and mix well.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add mashed rajma beans and ginger-garlic paste. Stir well. Add pepper powder, asafoetida, garam masala and stir everything well.
- Add coconut milk soaked ground powder. Stir frequently to avoid any lumps. Now, add water and salt to taste.
- Cook it on low flame for 15 minutes till you get thick porridge-like consistency. Serve hot or cold.
This recipe was first published in the December 2015 issue of Complete Wellbeing.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!