The colour of the light we see is determined by its wavelength. The wavelengths of the seven rainbow colours resonate with the seven main energy centres/chakras of the body. Everything has an energy field/electro magnetic field or aura, and this energy field will be affected by other energies. Colour is one of these energies that affects us on all levels. We absorb colour via the skin and the eyes. Thus, the colour of the clothes we wear and the colours in our environment, all have an effect on our mood and feeling of wellbeing. People who are either colour-blind or cannot see at all, will still benefit from colour energies – even if they do not see them in the usual way.
The chakra centres
If you can imagine the chakras/energy centres as a set of cogs/wheels, they are rather like the workings of a clock or an engine; each cog/wheel needs to move smoothly for the clock/engine to work properly. Thus, balance of the energy in each of the body’s chakras is very important for health and wellbeing. Colour therapy can help to re-balance and/or stimulate these energies.
The seven rainbow colours being red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet resonate with the base, sacral, solar plexus, heart, throat, brow and crown chakras respectively, and the organs and glands therein. Colour energy can be used to energise or balance our chakras and act as a catalyst for the body’s own healing process.
Take for example, a situation where we have been unable, for one reason or another, to speak our mind or express our needs and feelings. This can manifest as a problem in the throat chakra. The throat chakra relates to self expression. Thus, if our self expression has been blocked, the energy in this area will not be free flowing and in turn lead to a physical manifestation of disease.
How to use colour therapy
Colour is a part of our everyday life. There are many different ways of giving colour, including solarised water, light boxes/lamps with colour filters, colour silks and hands-on healing using colour.
Who can use colour therapy
Colour therapy can be shown to help on a physical level, which is perhaps easier to quantify. However, there are deeper issues around colours on the psychological and spiritual levels. Colour therapy can help us with emotional, mental, spiritual or physical issues. It is truly a natural, holistic and non-invasive therapy that has no side-effects, and can be used for adults, children/babies or animals. It can also be used along with any other medication – whether conventional or complementary.
There are no known contraindications but one should always treat red with caution. This colour raises blood pressure and blood flow; therefore it should be not be used by someone who has hypertension/high blood pressure.
This is not to say that the person having hypertension/high blood pressure cannot wear/use red, but he/she should be aware of its powerful energy.
A professional colour therapist would always take comprehensive notes on the patient’s health before giving a treatment.
Please be aware that no complementary therapy should be considered as an alternative to professional medical advice. If you are taking medication, you should first consult the prescribing professional before you stop taking it.
- RED is energising and warming, raises blood pressure and blood flow. Problems which can be helped with red include those related to poor circulation, kidney stones, diarrhoea, piles, colitis, problems with hips, legs and feet. Red relates to self awareness and security issues.
- ORANGE is warming and energising, helps clear phlegm and is a great antidote for depression. Problems which can be helped with orange include pre-menstrual syndrome, uterine fibroids, irritable bowel syndrome, prostatic disease and depression. Orange relates to self respect.
- YELLOW is uplifting and cleansing, and can be used for problems associated with the liver, spleen, stomach, small intestine and the pancreas. Problems include diabetes, pancreatitis, liver disease, peptic ulcer and gall stones. It is also helpful for breaking down calcification in arthritic joints and for cataracts. Yellow relates to self worth.
- GREEN is balancing and harmonising, and it encourages normal cell behaviour. It is helpful for many problems including any relating to the immune system, heart, breasts and cancer. It is also a good “first aid” colour for trauma – physical or emotional. Green relates to love/self love.
- BLUE is cooling and calming, helps to lower blood pressure and has antiseptic qualities. It can help problems such as thyroid complications, sore throat, asthma, bronchitis, mouth ulcers, teething in babies and tonsillitis. Blue relates to self expression – the ability to speak our own truth.
- INDIGO is cooling, calming and a great pain killer. It also has strong antiseptic qualities. It can help problems relating to the eyes, lower head and sinuses including tension headache, migraine, visual defects, glaucoma, catarrh, sinus problems and some ear problems. Indigo relates to self responsibility and intuition.
- VIOLET/PURPLE is very calming and has antiseptic and antifungal qualities. It helps to quieten the mind and is helpful for many mental problems including epilepsy, senile dementia, Alzheimer’s and also helps with confusion and dizziness. It is extremely helpful for insomnia. Violet relates to spiritual awareness.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!