A fruit pack or a fruit facial sounds very tempting, because you are sure of getting a natural facial. But, before you decide to go for a fruit facial, it is best to understand the properties of these fruits and choose the right one for your skin. Fruits are rich in vitamins and thus give an instant glow. Most fruits like lemon, orange, pineapple, and strawberries are acidic in nature; as a result they act as good exfoliators. Though resulting to an instant glow, these cannot be used on sensitive skin. In people with sensitive skin, the upper layer of the skin is very thin, and so exfoliation could do them more harm than good. Also, the acidic nature of these fruits could irritate their skin. For sensitive skin, the only fruits that can be used are banana, almond, and olive [olive oil].
On the other hand, fruits like lemon and orange do well for oily skin. Fruits like strawberry, aloe, and lemon are recommended for oily skin. However, fruits like banana, almond and olive need to be avoided as they can aggravate acne. Also, scrubbing is not recommended for oily skin.
People with dry skin can use all the above mentioned fruits. To target the dryness of the skin, they need to use fruits like banana, almond, olive and the other fruits that are acidic in nature. They act as good exfoliators. These fruits are also rich in vitamins.
Fruits can be used either alone as facials or can be mixed with other face packs.
Few things that you must keep in mind when you make a fruit pack are:
- Choose the right fruit. It is not only important to use the right fruit for your skin type but also to check if the fruit is fresh and of good quality. Organically grown fruits give better results.
- Fruits and fruit packs should be prepared and applied on the same day, so prepare only the required quantity.
- Take the fruit out of the fridge and keep it for at least half an hour before using them. Also don’t let them get warmer than room temperature.
- Clean and sanitize all counters and utensils used in preparing these packs. Wash your hands well [if some one else is preparing them for you make sure his/her hands are clean] before preparing the packs.
- In spite of all the precautions, if you feel any irritation on the skin remove the pack immediately. Some ingredient in the pack might not be suiting you.
- Do not overdo. Most fruits are acidic in nature and excessive use of these packs can cause damage to the skin. It is best to use them two to three times in a month, depending on the skin type.
Most people in today’s times have busy schedules and do not get the time to pamper themselves with these packs. For them, there are a lot of products available in the market that are made from natural ingredients and give the same results as fresh fruits do. So go ahead and pamper you skin.
Fruit masks should not be used in the following conditions
- The skin is hypersensitive i.e. it reacts very fast to new products/lotions.
- Due to increased exposure to sun, the skin is in a sunburned state
- If the skin has got infected in any manner
- Cuts or small wounds are present on the face or other regions where the mask is to be applied
– Team CW
Papaya fruit facial mask
- 1/4 of a ripe papaya
- 4 teaspoons of green cosmetic clay
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel
Make a puree of the papaya fruit. Mix clay, and aloe vera gel with it. Apply the mixture over the face and neck regions. Keep it on for approximately 20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water.
Peach tightening mask
- 1 peach, ripe, peeled and pitted
- 1 egg-white
Whip the peach and egg-white together in a blender until smooth. Gently pat the mixture all over your face. Relax for 30 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water.
– Team CW