Bursting with the flavours of fresh zucchini and corn, these are a snap to make and go well with your evening cuppa or even as a side for your main meal.
Makes 6 large fritters
- 2½ cups zucchini, coarsely shredded
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup corn kernels
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ cup chickpea flour [besan]
- ¼ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp oil
- Take the coarsely shredded zucchini in a bowl and sprinkle ½ tsp salt over it. Rest for 10 minutes to draw out the liquid from the zucchini.
- Squeeze out the water from the zucchini. Add the zucchini, corn, red chilli flakes, cumin powder, garam masala powder and chickpea flour to a mixing bowl. Mix well with a spoon to form a batter. If you feel the batter is runny, add breadcrumbs, few spoons at a time, till batter comes together. If you do not wish to use breadcrumbs, you can add more chickpea flour. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Divide batter into 6 portions. Form each portion into thin patties with your hand and pan-fry on both sides till nicely browned, 2 – 3 minutes per side.
- Serve the fritters hot with a chutney or dip.
You can add any of your favourite vegetables in this recipe. Think shredded carrots, finely chopped broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
To make this recipe gluten-free, skip the breadcrumbs and keep adding more chickpea flour till the batter comes together. The batter should be wet but not runny, so that you can form the patties easily.
Don’t discard the liquid drained from the grated zucchini. Add it to your smoothies, roti dough or dal.
This recipe was published in the April 2016 issue of Complete Wellbeing.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!