A moist and decadent chocolate bread, made healthier by adding a generous amount of shredded zucchini, that can be eaten as a snack, for breakfast or even dessert. Topped with chocolate chips and almond flakes, this zucchini chocolate bread is every bit as delicious as it is pretty! This recipe is eggless and has no butter either. Many find that this quick bread is a great option to pack and carry along while travelling.
Makes one 9” loaf.
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups zucchini , grated
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup almond flakes
- This chocolate bread is mildly sweet. For a sweeter, cake-like flavour, you can increase the sugar quantity to one cup.
- If the bread is not done after 50 minutes and you see that the top is rapidly browning, loosely tent the pan with foil and continue to bake till done.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200° Celsius. Line a 9”x5” loaf pan with parchment paper or foil and set aside.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric beater, cream the oil and sugar together. Add yogurt and beat on high for 2 minutes. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Add grated zucchini to this and mix well.
- Tip in the dry ingredients and fold in carefully till just combined. The batter will be thick.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle chocolate chips and almond flakes on top of the batter. Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the centre of the bread comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes. Then remove bread to a wire rack and cool completely. Store in an airtight container when completely cooled. Serve bread slices warm or cold with a cup of milk, coffee or tea.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!