When choosing bell peppers for stuffing, pick ones that are fresh and firm. To prepare the peppers for stuffing, wash them well, then carefully slice open the tops and deseed the peppers. If you wish to cook these peppers in a pan rather than an oven, before stuffing, simply dunk the peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove them out, drain the water well and sprinkle some salt inside the peppers. Follow the recipe as usual, and then place in a pan drizzled with some oil. Cover and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes on low flame.
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 100g cooked rice
- 50g oats
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2tbsp fresh herbs, roughly chopped
- 4 peppers, top cut off and hollowed out
- 25g cheddar cheese, grated
- 25g Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions until light golden brown.
- Add the chilli and garlic and fry for a minute before stirring in the rice, oats and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add a splash of water, stir well and warm through for a few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in some of the herbs.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Fill the peppers with the mixture and top with cheddar and Parmesan.
- Roast the peppers in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve sprinkled with the reserved herbs and a crisp green salad.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!