Snake gourd, the humble ‘padwal‘ [as called in hindi] is loaded with nutrition. Being from the gourd family, it is low in calories, high in anti-oxidants, and good for the digestive system.
Snake gourd recipe with coconut
- Snake gourd: 250g
- Turmeric powder: 1tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Desiccated or fresh coconut: 2 tbsp
- Oil: 1tbsp
- Salt, as you prefer
To watch a detailed video of the recipe, click here
- Wash and peel the snake gourd, cut in length-wise, then de-seed
- Chop into small pieces
- Transfer the gourd to a pressure cooker, added very little water, just enough to cover the vegetables and then cook on high flame for 2 whistles
- Once the steam settles, drain the water and keep the snake gourd aside
- In a pan, heat 1tbsp oil. Add 1tsp mustard seeds
- Once the crackle, add sliced onion
- Saute well, till the onion is soft, but not brown
- Then add the snake gourd. Add the spices and salt and mix well
- Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Then add the coconut and mix well. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes more
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve warm.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!