Berries are rich in antioxidants and fibre. If you’re living the busy city life and are exposed to high levels of stress and pollution you need all the antioxidants you can get. There can’t be a more delicious way to eat berries than this crumble recipe.
- 400g mixed berries, such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
- 5tbsp brown sugar
- A good pinch of nutmeg powder
- A good pinch of ginger powder
- 75g plain flour
- 50g chilled butter, unsalted and cut into small cubes
- 25g oats, plus a few extra for sprinkling
- Strawberries and yoghurt for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Divide the berries in 4 ovenproof bowls.
- Sprinkle ½ tablespoon of sugar into each bowl and add a good pinch of nutmeg and ginger powder.
- Place the flour in another bowl and using your fingertips, rub in the chilled butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir through the remaining sugar and oats. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the berries.
- Bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes, until bubbling and the crumble has turned golden brown.
- Serve sprinkled with a few extra oats, and with fresh strawberries and yoghurt.
This recipe was first published in the January 2015 issue of Complete Wellbeing.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!