A quick stir-fried rice recipe that is ready in 10 minutes if you have leftover rice in the fridge. Great to pack in lunchboxes as well.
Serves 3 – 4
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 5 – 6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- A pinch of asafoetida
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup grated green or unripe papaya
- ½ cup grated green or unripe mango
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chillies and curry leaves. When the seeds begin to crackle, add ginger, asafoetida and turmeric powder. Saute for a few seconds on low flame to fry the ginger.
- Add grated papaya and mango and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring frequently. When the papaya and mango are soft, add the coconut and saute for a few more seconds.
- Now add the cooked rice and gently fold in to combine. Season with salt. Add the roasted peanuts. Serve hot with raita, pickle and papad.
Green papaya is a little bland on its own, but is great at absorbing flavours. So green mango is added here to give the rice a tangy flavour.
This recipe was first published in the February 2016 issue of Complete Wellbeing.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!