Foxtail millet, also known as thinai or kangni, is one of the oldest cultivated food. It can be cooked just like rice and replaced in most recipes where rice is used.
This kheer (rice pudding) uses coconut milk and coconut water which, together with foxtail millet, make it a rather healthful dessert. Try it and let us know if you enjoyed it.
- 1½ tbsp foxtail millet / kangni
- 150ml thick coconut milk
- 40ml coconut water
- 400ml water
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp condensed milk
- Chopped almonds, cashews and raisins for garnishing
- Wash and soak millet in enough water for 20 minutes. Heat a pan with 400 ml water. Once it starts boiling, add drained millet to it.
- Once millet is cooked, add coconut water and stir well. Add cardamom powder.
- Add coconut milk and switch to low flame. Stir well and cook for five minutes. Add condensed milk and cook for another 3 – 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Add chopped nuts and raisin. Stir well. Serve it hot or cold.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!