Currently it’s monsoon season in Mumbai, and the rains bring on craving for warm comforting foods. It’s important to change your food habits as per your location and the weather. So till the weather remains cool, instead of starting my day with a glass of freshly prepared vegetable juice, I prefer a bowl of piping hot soup. I’ve been experimenting with different recipes and here I share one recipe that is delicious and easy to make. It is seasoned with only salt and pepper. Nothing else is needed, the vegetables add all the flavour.
4 garlic cloves – chopped
- 1 small onion – chopped roughly
- 1 carrot – chopped
- 1 small beetroot – chopped
- 1 tomato – chopped
- Half bottle gourd – chopped [doodhi]
- Handful of coriander and mint leaves
- ½ tsp oil
- Salt and pepper – as per your taste
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker or pan, add the garlic. When it browns slightly and gives off an aroma, add onion and sauté. Garlic adds a lot of flavour to the soup, so don’t skip it.
- Next add all the other ingredients, including salt and pepper. Sauté well for 1-2 minutes. If you are making this in a pan, add steamed vegetables instead.
- Then add two cups water, close the pressure cooker and cook on medium flame for 10 minutes or 5-6 whistles. For pan, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- After the steam is released, cool the vegetables and then blend the mix in a blender.
- Transfer back to the dish, heat it, check seasoning and serve hot.
For thickness, add a small potato instead of adding flour. You can also add a dash of lemon juice for a tangy flavour.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!