A seasonal salad of oranges, apples, guava, sweet potato, goose berries and pine nuts in orange juice and canola or olive oil dressing. This light fruit chaat uses local fruit, is low in salt and can be enjoyed at any time of day. Canola oil or olive oil in this fruit chaat does not interfere with the citrus of the oranges as it is neutral in taste.
Number of Portions: 2
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 100 g sweet potato
- 1 apple
- 1 guava [medium size]
- 10 goose berries
- 2 bananas
- 10 orange segments
- ½ cup pomegranate
- 100 ml fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 2 tsp roasted cumin
- 1 lemon [optional]
- 2 ¾ tbsp canola or olive oil
- Boil sweet potato and allow it to cool. Peel and dice sweet potato and place in a bowl.
- Dice apple [skin on] and guavas, split goose berries and slice bananas. Clean orange segments of any fibre and place all fruits with sweet potato, including pomegranate.
- Pour orange juice in a separate bowl, add chaat masala, roasted cumin and lemon juice. Use lemon juice only if you need extra sourness.
- Pour in the oil, a little at a time and whisk. Pour the dressing over mixed fruits. Let the fruit chaat sit in extra orange juice for 1 – 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
This recipe was first published in the March 2013 issue of Complete Wellbeing.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!