Overripe bananas add sweetness to breakfast muffins. The riper they are, the sweeter they’ll be and the less sugar you’ll need to add.
- 200g whole wheat flour
- 50g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 25g brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 150g blueberries
- 2 large overripe bananas
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp coconut oil [vegetable or rapeseed oil will also do]
- 1 egg, beaten
- 185ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- Prepare the dry ingredients by sifting together the whole wheat flour, plain flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon powder, sugar and salt.
- Add the blueberries and mix well so they are all coated in flour.
- Mash the bananas and mix with the honey, coconut oil, beaten egg and buttermilk.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Quickly mix them together, folding them well until just combined. It’s OK if there are traces of flour, as an under-mixed batter makes a lighter muffin.
- Fill the paper cases and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!