What do you do when you have too many overripe bananas? Well one of the things you can do is make this super easy banana bread recipe. Flaxseed or linseed has high fibre and omega-3 fatty acids. Flaxseeds can simply be ground into powder [flax meal] and sprinkled on favourite foods to reap its benefits.
[Note: Ovens and flours vary, and altitude can affect the baking.] Instead of beets and zucchini, grated apples and carrots can be used.
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup flax meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup grated raw beets
- ¼ cup grated raw zucchini
- 1 ½ cups squishy mashed bananas
- ½ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Combine the bottom six ingredients in a bowl and stir into a wet mixture, keep aside
- Combine the first three dry ingredients in a separate bowl, sifting the flour first, stir well
- To the wet ingredients mixture, add in the dry ingredients mixture; stir gently to form a smooth batter
- Grease a loaf pan, pour the batter, and cover with aluminium foil
- Bake in 375°F oven for about an hour till a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Remove from oven, allow to rest a few minutes and cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
This was first published in the June 2016 issue of Complete Wellbeing.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!