Ginkgo biloba contains flavonoids that are powerful antioxidants and aid capillary function. The herb is also known for its terpenoid content that controls production of platelets in the blood.
Why use this herb?
- One of the major reasons of memory loss is poor blood circulation to the brain. Ginkgo biloba dilates the blood vessels and improves blood flow to the brain, thus enhancing memory.
- The herb controls the conversion of cholesterol into plaques and thus prevents the formation of clots in the blood vessels.
- It neutralises the effect of the free radicals by improving the efficiency of immune system.
- Roasted ginkgo nuts aid digestion and improve metabolism.
- It is effective in curing vertigo, hypertension, migraine and muscle cramps—all problems caused due to poor blood circulation.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties that ease swelling of bronchial linings and prevents asthma and other respiratory complications.
- Studies show that it is also effective in treating sexual dysfunction.
- Its effect on the circulatory system aid in treating eye disorders and hearing problems.
How to consume it?
Since this herb is commonly found in China, the nuts inside the ginkgo seeds have culinary importance in traditional Chinese cuisine.
The nuts are cooked at special occasions and are even believed to have aphrodisiac properties. People in the rest of the world can reap the benefits of ginkgo biloba either in the form of a supplement or as tea [tea bags are available at specific stores].
What are the side-effects?
- The constituents of ginkgo biloba affect blood clotting and have extreme blood-thinning properties. Hence, it should be avoided by people having blood circulation disorders and those taking anticoagulants.
- It affects blood sugar levels and hence is not recommended for diabetics.
- Pregnant women and lactating mothers are advised not to consume this herb.
- It can also cause allergic skin reactions or muscle weakness in some cases.
The benefits of both green tea and ginkgo biloba are well-known individually. But did you know that together they make a powerhouse combination? Research says that Ginkgo biloba and green tea work in synergy and react with each other to produce greater benefits, than if taken separately.
Both are rich in antioxidants and have numerous health benefits. Together, they are super effective in boosting immune system and overall health and well-being. They prevent cancer, lower cholesterol, put off colds and infections, enhance longevity, improve memory. the list just goes on.
They even cure mood swings, hormonal imbalances and fertility problems, in both men and women. So, take full advantage of this healthy combination to enjoy the benefits.