Experts recommend that while basic clean-ups are sufficient to keep your skin clean and healthy during your teens and 20s, facials are of utmost importance as you cross 35 years of age.
It is during this time that our skin needs to be massaged and taken care of in a professional manner to rejuvenate it. As we get older, collagen and elastin [the fibres that keep the skin firm] weaken and thus make the skin loose causing it to sag.
Options to choose from
There are many surgical and non-surgical skin enhancement treatments available to make your skin look rejuvenated, spotless and youthful. Depending upon your skin health and quality, you may need one or more of these procedures:
High frequency treatment
This kind of treatment involves placing a gauze on the face while a glass electrode of high frequency radiation is passed over it. It is best suited for people with oily and acne-prone skin as it helps in drying out spots and has antibacterial effects. For those with dry to normal skin types, there are other indirect frequency treatments available that have the same effect.
An active ingredient is introduced deep into the facial skin by metal rollers massaging the skin. The cosmetic aids eliminate congestion and increase blood circulation, which is beneficial to people with dried out pores and skin. It is also effective in opening pores. Galvanic current enhances product penetration and enables deep pore healing for all skin types.
Micro current treatment
Micro current treatment is sometimes administered along with exfoliative therapies. It increases dermal collagen production and the number of dermal fibroblasts—both vital for young and healthy skin.
These are administered in three stages and are gentle and relaxing. Simple and straightforward, ultrasonic cleansers do not involve harsh chemicals, crystals or scrubbing.
These are called medical because they are a bit stronger than those carried out in a medical spa. They are specially created for people who have certain medical conditions, and are done in a qualified dermatologist’s clinic under his supervision.
Doctors usually combine facial rejuvenation treatment along with other procedures for faster results. For example, microdermabrasion followed by a vitamin C facial or an acne facial between two chemical peels.
A complete affair
Although it varies from person to person, ideally you must get a facial done every 4 – 6 weeks because that’s how long it takes for the skin to regenerate.
A perfect facial for those in their 30s must include:
- Thorough cleansing with cotton pads and a product chosen for your skin type.
- Exfoliation using a mechanical or chemical exfoliant. Mechanical exfoliation has a gritty texture and usually happens while a steam vapour is directed at your face.
- Extraction of blackheads/white heads if there are clogged pores on your face.
- Massage using classic strokes to relax and stimulate your skin and facial muscles.
- Facial mask as per your skin type.
- Application of toners and protective creams.
The goodness of facials
- A facial increases circulation and stimulates the skin.
- It slows down premature ageing by custom-targeting your skin type.
- It is a great preventative treatment to beat wrinkles before they occur.
- It keeps your skin hydrated.
- It regulates the immune system and aids in detoxification.
Some things you need to keep in mind:
- Know the ingredients and the brands being used on your face before going in for a face treatment.
- Test if you are allergic to any ingredient of the products used in a facial. If you’re experimenting with a new kind of facial, do a patch test of the major ingredients the day before in order to rule out allergies.
- Stay away from strong bleaches, harsh chemicals and metallic products that can damage your skin.
- Ensure your therapist uses only fresh products, especially in case of natural/organic facials.
- Never peel away pimples as these could leave painful sores and permanent scars.
- Make sure the spa/parlour maintains good hygiene standards to avoid infection.