Everybody wants to look their beautiful best these days. With number of beauty brands available in the market, one ends up spending a lot of money on these products. Beauty treatments at the parlours are also not easy on our pockets and we are never sure whether the beautician is trained right.
There are many simple beauty remedies that are easily available off our kitchen shelves.
Listed below are a few home beauty tips that are non-invasive and easy, which can be tried at no extra cost.
Drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day will hydrate your skin and flush your body of unwanted toxins. Having a glass of hot water first thing in the morning is proved to be beneficial.
A simple facial routine that you can follow at home:
- Steam your face for two to three minutes. Wipe off the dirt from your face with a damp cotton ball. You can even dampen the cotton with milk as it acts as a natural cleanser.
- Now rub a cube of ice over your face to close the pores.
- Next you can either use a readymade face pack or make one at home that suits your skin.
- Wash off after 10 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Tone your skin with a toner or use rosewater instead.
Make sure you keep your body clean and free from dead skin.
Honey and oats scrub
A good homemade scrub of ground oats and honey helps in getting rid of dead skin. This can be done once every week.
Take about one tbsp. of ground oats and one tsp of honey. Mix well and gently scrub it into your skin to rid it off dirt and dead cells.
An important point to remember before applying face masks is to avoid the area around the eyes.
- Mash up a ripe banana and add honey to make a pulp.
- Leave on face for 5-8 minutes.
- Wash off with normal water.
- Mix together one egg, one tsp honey, 1/2 tsp olive oil, and a few drops of rose water.
- Leave on face till you feel the stretch.
- Wash off with cool water.
- Apply a little baby oil to your face. This will moisturise it.
- Mix together 1 tbsp multani mitti [fuller's earth] with one tsp of honey.
- Apply on face and allow it to dry.
- Rinse with warm water.
It is also preferable to choose a moisturiser that suits your skin type and apply it as often. Moisturising your skin immediately after a bath is a must.
Sun is a natural provider of vitamins and energy for our body. So make sure you get your daily quota of sunshine. Too much can burn your skin, so don't abuse it. Early morning sun is the best for that golden glow but must be avoided after 10 am. So make sure to carry an umbrella or use a sunblock that suits your skin.
The perfect mane is not far away with these simple homemade treatments:
Take some reetha [dry soap nuts]. Soak them in water overnight. Mash it well next morning. Strain the soapy solution. Add a tsp of shikakai powder. Use this solution to wash hair.
Mix together one tbsp castor oil, one tbsp glycerine, one tbsp cider vinegar and a tsp of mild herbal shampoo. Apply and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse off well with water.
Soak fenugreek [methi] seeds overnight. Grind it to a paste in the morning. Apply well onto your scalp. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo.
Applying a mixture of curds and lemon also helps in clearing the dandruff.
Apply ? a cup of mayonnaise to damp hair. Cover with a shower cap for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and shampoo.
Flat beer also acts as an excellent conditioner. Use it as a final rinse.
Mix together one egg yolk and 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. Combine it into wet hair. Leave it on for 3-5 minutes and shampoo. It might smell strange but it works well.
Constant shampooing leads to a build-up on the hair. To remove it effectively mix shampoo with baking soda to form a smooth paste. Apply onto hair and let it set in for five minutes. Wash as normal. A great way to remove the residues left behind.
Massage your hair with olive oil or castor oil. Try to leave it overnight or at least for four hours before shampooing.
Hands and feet
Do not neglect your hands and feet as they are the most overworked. Pamper them once a week and you can do it effectively in the comfort of your home.
- First trim your nails and remove any trace of nail enamel with a remover.
- Take a basin of lukewarm water and put a few drops of hand wash or shampoo.
- Now soak both your hands in it for 10 minutes. Using a loofah gently scrub of the dead skin and grime.
- Next clean and shape your nails gently using a nail filer.
- Pat your hands dry and massage in a good hand cream or moisturiser
The same steps can be followed to treat your feet. Except maybe for cracked heels, you might have to use a pumice stone to gently remove dead skin. Do not use excess pressure as it will only aggravate the condition. In case the soles of your feet crack easily, a good remedy is to apply a foot cream and wear socks daily.
Massaging the feet each night with oil is relaxing and keeps them soft and supple. In winter warm oil can be used with sesame or mustard oil. In summer coconut oil provides a cooling effect.
Eye care tips
The skin around the eyes is the most delicate and sensitive area. Take extra care of it by following these simple tips:
- Make sure to remove eye make-up before you go to bed. Apply cleansing milk onto a cotton ball and gently wipe off the make-up.
- Always remember to splash water gently onto your eyes.
- Sliced cucumber slices placed on your eyes will help lighten dark circles.
- Dip cotton pads in chilled milk or rose water and place them on your eyes to relax tired muscles around them.
- Grate a potato with its peel and apply on your closed eyelids for about 20 minutes and relax completely. This is to care your eyes to have firm muscles.
- Do not wear contact lenses for extended periods of time or overnight as this will unnecessarily put a strain on your eyes and leave them looking tired.
Don't worry be happy
Last but not the least what you feel within will reflect on your face. If you are happy, you will look more healthy and radiant. You need to love yourself and your body. Make sure you are surrounded by loved ones who care for you. Take in all the positive energies and keep the negativities at bay. When you are happy it will boost your immune system and lengthen your lifespan.
Here's to a more gorgeous you!
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!