Winters are a welcome relief from the strong heat we’ve had so far. But, with the cold weather comes problems of dry skin, hair and nails. Thus, during this time of the year it becomes more important for us to take extra care of our bodies. Let me share some tips with you for luscious lips and baby soft feet. And, the good news is that all the finest and most effective cosmetics are just lying in your kitchen.
For luscious lips this winter
Nowadays some companies have a very strict dress code – they insist that every one should wear a smile. But, how can you smile if your lips are chapped? Chapped lips are not only unsightly but also can be painful and prevent one from performing routine activities like drinking, talking, eating, smiling.
Lips become slightly sore and red or may manifest with intense symptoms like bleeding painful cracks. One needs to find out the reason to heal this condition faster.
This could manifest due to diverse reasons, the most common ones being the exposure to vagaries of weather, allergic reactions and nutritional deficiency. While wind and cold have been cited as reasons for this, the frequent and prolonged exposure to sun can also cause it. So prevent over exposure to vagaries of weather.
Some medications like Isotretinoin [prescribed in acne] could cause dry lips as side effects, which usually disappears 2 weeks after the drug is stopped. Acyclovir, which is used to treat oral herpes, may result in cracked lips associated with burning sensation etc. Chapped lips can manifest if you have started any new medication or changed cosmetics, mouthwash or toothpaste.
Listed below are some easy tips so you can smile your heart away.
- Apply ghee with or without honey on chapped lips. Apply this 2-3 times a day or at bedtime.
- Either mustard oil or coconut oil or sesame oil to be applied or dropped into the navel to attain faster results.
- Cucumber slices or lemon juice can be applied frequently to cure this condition.
- Grind rose petals with milk cream or butter or ghee and apply on the lips to cure severe and chronic chapped lips.
- Glycerine with lemon juice and rose water helps when applied regularly.
- Apply honey and give a mild massage, then wash off using warm water. Following this, apply milk cream or ghee and leave it on for a few hours to have healthy pink lips.
- Gargle either with cooking oil or medicated oil regularly after brushing your teeth. This not only helps in the prevention of oral cavity but also improves the health of your lips.
- Milk cream with or without little turmeric should be applied 2-3 times a day when one has painful chapped lips.
- Bee wax with a little cooking oil or ghee and honey can be used as lip balm to prevent cracked lips.
- Aloe vera gel or fresh aloe leaf pulp with turmeric and honey can be applied on painful, red chapped lips. Apply this 3-4 times a day for a few days to get rid of pain and redness.
- Melt good quality bee wax or paraffin and add turmeric, coconut oil and neem leaf juice. When it comes to a cream-like consistency it is ready for application. This cream can be applied every night and washed off in the morning or applied 3-4 times a day and washed off after 15-20 minutes.
These tips will help you flaunt your million watt smile this winter. So smile, it is after the only second best thing you can do with your lips.
For dainty feet
Healthy feet indicate the health of a person and their attitude towards health. Here are some simple, doable tips to prevent or heal cracked heels.
- Soaking feet in warm water or medicated water, daily for about 20 minutes. Then, using a pumice stone to get rid of dead skin.
- Make a pulp of a papaya or ripe banana. Mix it with honey and, ghee or bee wax and apply it on affected heel and leave it for 10 minutes. Rinse it carefully and dry well.
- Melt good quality of bee wax; add some coconut oil or sesame oil or mustard oil to which neem leaf juice and turmeric could be added. Wear cotton socks after applying this cream. The next morning the feet should be washed well using warm water and gentle soap.
- Wear clean socks and shoes with no back [heels open] to prevent fissures in winter.
- Ayurveda recommends oil massage daily especially to feet, head and ears to prevent aging, ensure sound sleep and keep sense organs in perfect condition. Feet massage using herbal oils has been advocated to keep feet in perfect condition.
- Specific yoga asanas, like saravangasana, halasana, and trikonasana that enhance circulation to feet, are highly beneficial in prevention and cure of heel fissures. Nadishudhi or simple pranayama practiced regularly improves peripheral blood circulation and improves feet health.
- Washing feet after a walk or after returning home helps keep the feet cleansed and healthy.
Vitamin deficiencies or smoking constantly could cause cracked lips or angular stomatitis. Systemic diseases like diabetes, Kawasaki Disease, Sjogren’s syndrome, Macrocytosis, sexually transmitted diseases including HIV and other diseases can be an underlying cause of chronic cracked lips. One could try home remedies to get rid of chapped lips and if it does not subside by a week or two it is essential to see a doctor.
Feet cracks known as heel fissures are not only painful but could indicate some serious health problem. In a diabetic patient, the body could lose its ability to produce oils, making the skin less supple and more susceptible to extreme dryness, so it is very essential to learn to take good care of your feet. Neglecting feet care, psoriasis, eczema, thyroid problems, ill-fitting shoes, and deficiencies could all cause fissures. Cracked feet could be simple [mild crack] or chronic and severe [deep fissure] and may need more than home remedies.
Dr Robert Brody, a New York-based podiatrist opines that when a person is in agony while walking and if the cracks look like Grand Canyon, then it is advisable to get medical opinion.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!