This homemade snack is a good replacement for store-bought chips and munchies. Since it’s roasted, it’s lower on calories than the fried ones. But the secret is all in the spices. You can create your own variants of this snack by playing around with the spices. Here I’ve used simple Indian masalas but you can also add lemon juice, black pepper, mixed herbs or garam masala powder.
- Dried chick peas – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
If using canned chickpeas, you can skip the first step.
- Soak chick peas overnight and pressure cook for three whistles with just enough water and salt.
- Drain the water completely and spread the chick peas on a kitchen towel for 30 minutes to dry.
- In a bowl mix oil, red chilli powder, cumin powder, salt and toss the chick peas in it until well coated.
- Preheat the oven at 180° C for five minutes. Spread the chick peas on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 – 40 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy. Stir in between to prevent them from getting burnt.
- Once cooled, store it in an air tight container and enjoy!
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!