This wonderful cake recipe uses generous amounts of pumpkin and also pumpkin spice. This spice mix is very easy to make. It has 3 tbsp cinnamon powder, 2 tsp each of ginger and nutmeg powder and 1.5tsp each of clove and allspice powder. Mix these together and store in an airtight container.
This cake serves as a delicious tea cake too, just skip the frosting.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- A pinch of salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- ¼ cup butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven at 3500C and butter up a baking pan.
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt. Mix them well.
- In another bowl, whisk sugar and butter to a smooth creamy texture. Add in eggs and whisk again.
- Next, add in pumpkin purée to the mixture and mix well.
- Now add the dry ingredients little by little to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter onto the baking pan and bake it at 35 degree C for 20 minutes. Then check to see if it’s cooked by inserting a toothpick or knife in the centre; it should come out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack before frosting.
- In a bowl, whisk cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract to a smooth cream.
- Once the cake is cool enough, layer the frosting on top.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!