Your main meals viz. breakfasts, lunches and dinners might be healthy, but if your in-between snacks are junk or filled with empty calories, you have lost the diet plot. Here are three delicious vegetarian protein snacks that will nourish your body and soul.
3 vegetarian protein snacks recipes
Peanut chaat (Suitable for vegans)
- Raw peanuts – 1 cup
- Onion -1 medium sized
- Tomatoes – 1 de-seeded
- Raw mango – 1/3 cup
- Carrot – ¼ cup grated finely
- Green chillies – 1 finely chopped
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Roasted cumin powder –½ tsp
- Chaat masala – ½ tsp
- Lemon juice to taste
- Coriander leaves – 3 tsp finely chopped
- Salt as needed
- Soak peanuts overnight and pressure cook with salt until soft. Leave it to cool.
- Finely chop onions, tomatoes, green chillies and raw mangoes.
- Set aside some chopped coriander leaves and grated carrots for garnishing.
- In a bowl, combine all the above ingredients and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and grated carrots.
Oven roasted chick peas (Suitable for vegans)
- Dried chick peas – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak chick peas overnight and pressure cook for 3 whistles with just enough water and salt.
- Drain the water completely and spread the chick peas on a kitchen towel for 30 minutes to dry.
- In a bowl mix oil, chilli powder, cumin powder, little salt and toss the chick peas in it until well coated.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree C for 5 minutes. Spread the chick peas on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 – 40 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy. Stir in between to prevent them from getting burnt.
- Once cooled, store it in an air tight container and enjoy!
Note: If using canned chickpeas, you can skip the first step.
Dry fruit and nut energy balls
- Dates – 500 grams pitted
- Nuts – 1 cup [mix of almonds, pistachio, cashew nuts and walnuts]
- Raisins – ¼ cup
- Honey – 2 tsp
- Ghee – 3 tsp
- Roasted sesame seeds as needed
- Toast all the nuts separately and grind it coarsely.
- Heat a tsp of ghee and fry the raisins until they puff up.
- Heat 2 tsp of ghee, add dates, honey and sauté until dates become soft.
- Add the nuts, raisins and mix well.
- Grease your hands with ghee and make balls when the mixture is warm.
- Roll them on roasted sesame seeds and store it in an air tight container.