Among all the household chores, one task that most of us dislike doing is bathroom cleaning.
Since the bathroom is one of the most frequently used areas of the home, it is also the one that gets dirty very easily. It, therefore, requires proper and thorough cleaning, every single day.
If basic hygiene and proper cleanliness are not maintained, your bathroom can easily turn into an unmanageable germ factory. Add to that stubborn stains, unpleasant odour, and a disagreeable look, you have a bathroom that you would only disapprove.
One day at a time
It may seem difficult, but frequent and regular cleaning is the only way by which you can prevent your bathroom from becoming dirty and unhygienic. A little care everyday can save you the trouble of spending endless hours at a stretch in bathroom cleaning.
Whether you are short of time, tired or plain lazy, try your best not to put off bathroom cleaning for another day. Besides following your daily cleaning regime, make it a habit to clean whenever required.
Make it a family affair
Everyone wants to use a bathroom that is neat and tidy, and for this each member of the family must do their bit in maintaining bathroom cleanliness.
Here are simple tips which can be incorporated easily into your daily routine – to make your bathroom clean, beautiful and impressive.
Bathroom ventilation and lighting
Entering a stuffy and dingy bathroom can be a dreadful experience.
- A good bathroom should be well-ventilated and airy. For this, it is essential to install an exhaust fan and ceiling fan. If there is a window in the bathroom, leave it open for sometime everyday
- Dimly-lit bathrooms can be very depressing. It is a good idea to install bright tube lights that give better lighting
- Invest in good quality and aromatic air-fresheners for the bathroom.
Bathroom mirror and surface
A good bathroom should have clean mirrors and glass surfaces.
- Clean the bathroom mirror with a wet newspaper from time to time. After all, who likes to look into a spotted, faded and dirty mirror?
- Spray a good cleaning agent on all other glass surfaces as well as the shower cubicle, doors etc., and wipe with a clean, soft cloth. Doing so will also clear water spots.
The washbasin should be scrubbed with a brush and a good cleaner, as often as possible. If you do not have a rack to store bathroom accessories such as soaps, toothpaste, shaving cream etc., place them on the basin surface, and try to keep the space dry by draining out excess water after every use.
Bathtub and shower cubicles
Daily cleaning of the bathtub is essential to maintain good hygiene.
- If you use a bathtub, it is very important to clean it everyday, both from the inside and outside
- Pay special attention to the sides and corners of the bathtub and scrub with a good brush to prevent the formation of mildew
- Check the drainage of the bathtub, and make sure it is not blocked
- It is a good idea to have a rack fitted on the wall, close to the bathtub which can hold bath items such as soaps, shampoos, bath salts, oils etc.,
- The shower area/cubicle should be cleaned daily. If you notice reduced water flow from the shower, get a plumber to check and clean it. There may be salt deposits which block the shower and reduce the water supply
- Water spots on glass doors after a shower, with and without warm water, leave ugly tell-tale signs. Hence, the doors in the shower area must be wiped with a clean cloth after every bath
- you use shower curtains, choose a day during the week, or the weekend, to take them off and clean them. After using the shower, put the curtains to one side so that there is ventilation and the shower area is dry.
The inside and outside of the commode, the toilet seat, the cistern etc., should be cleaned with separate brush and cleaning agents.
- Insert an in-cistern toilet cleaner [into the cistern] for continuous cleaning and fresh disinfected water after each flush
- When not in use, the toilet seat must be covered.
- The bathroom tiles must be cleaned frequently with a sponge and good soap powder
- It is advisable to get a professional cleaner to clean the entire bathroom with acid at least once a month.
Common bathroom etiquette
The bathroom door should always be kept closed.
Keep a closed dustbin lined with a garbage bag in your bathroom.
Every family member should get into the habit of using a wiper whenever they see excess water on the bathroom floor. Doing so will not only keep the bathroom floor dry, it will also keep it clean and spotless.
Any excess water that is left in the soap case will keep the case and the soap damp leading to the formation of soap scum and mildew. Make it a habit to wash the soap case and drain out excess water after every bath.
Clean the soap case from time to time with an old toothbrush to remove the collected soap scum. Liquid hand wash dispensers are a good option for your bathrooms, especially for the guest bathroom as it minimises the formation of soap scum and mildew.
All other bathroom accessories such as buckets, mugs, bowls and racks should be cleaned regularly.
The drains in the bathroom should be cleaned and cleared so that there are no blockages. Good quality net, or sieve, that does not rust should be fitted on top of the drains.
Hang a clean hand towel on a ring near the washbasin. Change it daily. Do not leave wet clothes in the bathroom.
Cleaning agents for the bathroom
You can find a wide range of bathroom cleaning agents and all-purpose detergents in the market. Always have a fresh stock of all essential items and store them separately, away from the reach of children.
It is up to you to take care of your bathroom. Give it a touch of warmth and personalise this space with some flowers, or a few decoration pieces.