A clean home and a healthy body are the pre-requisites of personal wellbeing. Though caring for oneself and the living space demands time, patience and dedication, there are no shortcuts to regular home and personal care. Maintaining high levels of hygiene is necessary for every family and this is where personal hygiene products and home-cleaning agents step in.
Caring for your home
There is nothing more satisfying than a clean, tidy and well-kept house that you can call your home.
Thorough and regular home-cleaning includes:
- Throwing out the garbage everyday
- Sweeping and mopping the floors with good-quality brooms and disinfectants that have a pleasant odour
- Scrubbing, cleaning and disinfecting toilets, wash basins and showers
- Keeping the drains clear with the help of drain openers and agents that remove clogs
- Dusting and wiping the furniture, window sills and glass, fans and home accessories
- Cleaning, dusting and vacuuming carpets and upholstery
- Wiping kitchen-counter tops with good cleansers.
There are a wide range of home-cleaning products available in the market today that can assist you in cleaning and maintaining your living space. As a customer, it is important to make smart purchases through informed decisions and choose products that are best-suited for your home cleaning. Doing this will not only reduce the time spent in cleaning; it will also help in making sure that the cleaning process is thorough and effective.
How to choose the right products
Buying home-cleaning agents can be a confusing task, owing to the large variety of commercial products available in the market. To buy the right product for your home, you should:
- Consider your requirement closely
- Do you require a disinfectant for mopping the floor or a stain remover for removing nasty and obstinate stains?
- Are you looking for a long broom to remove cobwebs on ceilings or do you require a brush to dust the netting on windows?
- Understand the textures and surfaces
Different textures and surfaces require separate maintenance. Hence, invest in products that suit these textures. Remember, using harsh chemical products on mild surfaces can cause permanent harm.
- Unglazed ceramic tiles scratch easily if cleaned with harsh acids. Mopping such floors with all-purpose cleaners is a good option. Similarly, marble and concrete floors may be cleaned with a mild disinfectant, clean water or an all-purpose cleaner.
- Be informed: When picking a cleaning product for your home, make sure to read the label on these products for directions of use, components and suitability. Most of your questions regarding what’s right for your home will be answered by being aware.
- Health concerns: Do you suffer from allergies? Pay special attention to the products you bring home as they can accentuate your allergic reactions. If you dislike strong smells, opt for mildly-scented cleaning solutions.
Safe home remedies and organic cleaning solutions are a good choice for those who prefer to stay away from unknown and harsh chemical products.
Caring for yourself
If you were to look at your shopping lists, you would be surprised to see just how many personal care and hygiene products you invest in on a monthly basis. From soaps, shampoos, conditioners and oils to gels, face wash, lotions and all kinds of make-up items, the list is truly endless. While there is nothing wrong in buying these, keep in mind that misuse of such personal care products can prove to be harmful.
- Soaps: When buying soaps for personal use, keep in mind your skin type — dry [moisturising soaps], oily [cleansing soaps], normal [soaps neither meant for oily nor dry skin] or combination [cleansers, glycerine soaps].Using a soap that is meant for a different skin type than your own can lead to skin eruptions and reactions.
- Shampoos: Identify your hair type and then select a shampoo best suited for it — dry [hydrating shampoo and moisturising conditioner], oily [cleansing shampoos], susceptible to dandruff [anti-dandruff shampoos]. If you are not sure, consult a hair specialist.Buy products that are ideal for use in specific seasons. You may want to change your shampoo after a few months so that your hair does not become immune to it through continuous use.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste: Opt for a toothbrush that has soft bristles. These are ideal for regular use as they do not harm the gums like hard brushes do. Pick a toothpaste that leaves you feeling fresh and clean and don’t forget to consult a dentist in the event that you experience any pain or discomfort in your mouth.
Your body is yours to care
When it comes to buying products for oneself, you are your best guide. There is no dearth of skin, hair and body care products available in the market today, with new ones being introduced almost everyday.
In the midst of so many choices, it is easy to get swept away into buying products that are not required and which may do more harm than good in the long run.
Hence, the wisest thing to do is:
- Understand your body type and then choose products that are best suited for your specific need.
- Read the labels on products such as shampoos and soaps carefully before buying them. These labels mention their contents as well as their suitability for skin and hair types.
- Purchase products that you really need. Don’t unnecessarily experiment with your skin, hair and body by using new products without being sure of their suitability.
- Watch out for negative signs such as skin eruptions, rashes, redness, toothache or excessive hair fall. Did you change your toothbrush, shampoo, soap or oil recently? Stop using them and consult a doctor.
- Avoid using products that have strong fragrances and excessive chemicals especially if you suffer from allergies.
- Look for products that are organic, mild and use natural ingredients if possible.
Whenever in doubt, you should consult a good dermatologist, hair expert or your trusted hair dresser.
Some safe home-cleaning options
- Vinegar can act as a window cleaner as well as help in removing grease and soap mildew.
- Lemon juice can be used to polish wooden furniture and for cleaning glass.
- Salt mixed in lemon juice helps in removing rust.
- Red chilli powder can keep ants away.