Many people put work before family and relationships. There are times when work might need your undivided attention, but most often try and maintain an overall balance between your professional and personal life. If you find that work has become your entire life, here are some tips to help you find your balance again.
- If work occupies most of your thoughts, you've got your priorities messed up. Start by telling yourself that family comes first. Then start doing something to makeup for ignoring them. It can be as simple as coming home early atleast once a week.
- Keep track of important dates [birthdays, anniversaries and other special occasions of your beloved ones] in your calendar or electronic devices. If you use an electronic device, keep a hard copy for backup.
- There are times when you need to focus on yourself. You owe yourself at least ten minutes of peace every day. Just meditate or stare out the window.
- When you come home, leave your Blackberry in your car, so you can give your attention where it belongs. If this creates too much anxiety for you, it's a sign your life is not in balance.
- Leave your work at the office, and unless it's a true emergency, don't take business calls at home. At the very least, turn off the ringer when you retire for the evening.
- The Internet can be addictive and will eat up precious minutes if you let it to. Spend the free time you have with real people who love you, not with some online stranger who might help you make some more money.
- Make sure you dedicate as much time to your relationship as you do to your job. This can be done over time. If you travel a lot, try taking your mate along whenever possible.
- Your loved ones know where your priorities are. Do everything you can to let them see that they are your first choice. Whenever you take a day off to be with family, it will pay you back tenfold.
- Talking about your relationship is the most important tool you have to keep it on a positive track. Make sure you check in with the one you love at least once a week and talk about how your life together is going.
- If you have the luxury of a paid vacation, use it this year. Things change quickly, and you need to make the most of what you've earned. Many of us don't use our vacation time optimally.
You owe it to yourself and your family to create a balance between what you do and whom you love.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!