We all want to feel happy and each one of us has different ways of getting there. Being happy has a positive effect on your health and your environment. So count each moment of happiness and live each day as it comes.
Here are some steps to increase your joie de vivre and bring more happiness into your life.
10 steps to happiness
- Know that we are not alone. We live among other people and they affect how we feel. Studies show that we are happiest when we are around happy people. Stick with those who are joyful and you'll smile more.
- Hold on to your values. Go with what you find to be true, what you know is fair, and what you believe in. Over time, the more you honour your own values, the better you will feel about yourself and those you love.
- Accept the good. Look at your life and take stock of what's working. Don't push away something just because it isn't perfect. When good things happen—even the little ones—let them in.
- Imagine the best. Don't be afraid to look at what you really want and see yourself getting it. Many people avoid this process because they don't want to be disappointed if things don't work out. When you imagine getting what you want, you take care of half your work achieving it.
- Do things you love. Maybe you can't skydive every day or take vacations every season, but as long as you get to do the things you love every once in a while, you will still feel the joy.
- Find purpose. Those who believe they are contributing to the wellbeing of humanity tend to feel better about their lives. Most people want to be a part of something greater than they are, simply because it's fulfilling.
- Listen to your heart. You are the only one who knows what fills you up. Your family and friends may think you'd be great at something that really doesn't float your boat. It can be complicated following your bliss, just be smart, and keep your day job for the time being.
- Push yourself, not others. It's easy to feel that someone else is responsible for your fulfilment; in reality, it's you who is in charge. Once you realise this, you have the power to get where you want to go. Stop blaming others or the world, and you'll find your answers much sooner.
- Be open to change. Even if it doesn't feel good, it's the one thing you can count on. Like it or not, change will happen. So make contingency plans and emotionally shore yourself up for the experience.
- Always have a dream. People who always move forward and reach for their dreams have a more fulfilling life experience than those who just accept their circumstances and give up.
Happiness and fulfilment are within your grasp, but sometimes just out of reach. Understanding where your joy comes from is the first step in finding more of it.
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!