In our endless quest for attractiveness we spend millions on clothes, gadgets, jewellery and beauty products neglecting the most important feature—our teeth. A beautiful smile adds to our social, professional and economic success, yet many people pay no attention to that utterly critical smile and the teeth that make our smile look good.
A recent independent study reveals that more than 90 per cent people believe a smile is an important social asset. A healthy, confident and dazzling smile not only increases our self-confidence but also boosts our social status and helps forge a long-lasting relationship.
Many people feel awkward to smile freely because they do not have a good set of teeth. They are embarrassed because of dental gaps, stains or discolouration. However, we don't have to deprive ourselves and others of a heart-warming smile. The advancements in dentistry can now give people a smile that they have always wanted. Most dental defects can be easily treated by one of the following procedures:
Commonly known as bleaching, it is one of the commonly sought after dental procedures for whitening discoloured teeth. It is a simple, fast and effective way to alter dark teeth. Just two, ten minute sessions with the dentist is enough to bring back the sparkle to your teeth. You can conveniently do it even at home or in office and the procedure has no side effects.
This is a good corrective procedure for filling your teeth. A mix of composite paste is expertly matched to the colour of your natural teeth. It is then moulded into place over the defect and then hardened with high intensity light. Once dry, the tooth looks perfectly smooth and flawless.
If you have extensive tooth damage, decay, split teeth, or have fractured your teeth then they may be too weak for dental bonding. In such cases, a crown is used. A crown is essentially a prosthetic sleeve that slides over the top of your existing tooth to create a more attractive, healthy, symmetrical looking tooth. Porcelain crowns have the same look, shape, and function as a natural tooth.
If you want to fix teeth, veneers are an excellent solution. Also known as laminates—veneers are wafer-thin shells of porcelain that are bonded to the front of your teeth to get that perfect smile. Veneers give you a mega-watt smile—a big reason why it is so popular among Bollywood stars.
So the next time you want to look your best, wear your brightest smile.
Oral hygiene tips
A beautiful and healthy smile adds a zing to life. Hence, good oral hygiene plays an important role. Brushing, flossing and regular dental visits are building blocks of dental hygiene.
Here are five tips for great dental health:
- Brush your teeth regularly and thoroughly. Brushing regularly helps remove the excess bacteria helping you to have good breath and strong teeth. Use a good tooth brush as well as good toothpaste that will help to kill unnecessary bacteria and avoid infection.
- Floss regularly. There are some bacteria in plaque that get caught under the gums. These bacteria can only be removed by flossing. If they are not removed they turn into tartar.
- Limit your sugar intake. While sugar is not bad, eating it in excess greatly weakens your teeth and feeds the bacteria on the tooth surface.
- Visit the dentist regularly. The dentist can see potential problems before they take shape and tell you how to avoid them. The dentist will give you tips on what you need to do to take care of your teeth and will always make sure that your teeth are not only in good shape now, but that they stay in good shape even in the future.
- Use a mouthwash, it helps kill bacteria in your mouth. It can help maintain good breath as well as help strong teeth. But also don't expect your mouthwash do all the work, you to need to eat well, brush, floss, and visit your dentist. Mouthwash is like the cherry on top that will enhance your dental health.
— Team CW
Teeth and self-confidence
As a person gets older, the body goes through many natural changes. And this includes changes in our teeth. The worst effect of age on our teeth is discoloration. Even as early as late thirties to middle age, teeth can become darker, giving the impression of stained or un-cared for teeth, which can be a blow to anyone's self image or personal pride. Most people know that having white teeth is very important to self confidence. It helps leave a lasting impression on others. A 1998 study by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry found that 92 per cent of adults agree that an attractive, white smile is a very important social asset that contributes not only to how other people perceive you, but also to your self-image and confidence as a whole. Additionally, the study found that 75 per cent believed having yellow, stained or discoloured teeth can negatively affect your chances of success at work and in your career.
— Team CW
Spot an error in this article? A typo maybe? Or an incorrect source? Let us know!